Friday 12 January 2018

My Shortlist of Singles

My ten records? I thought you would never ask!



After wracking my brain to remember all those decades of music, it's really hard to make a choice. I might just as well have gone into a second hand vinyl store, such as our local Oxfam shop or "The Vinyl Frontier" in Suffolk, and picked out a few singles at random. However, if you consider who the audience will be on Huntingdon Community Radio on a Sunday, it would not be wise to go for the raw folk, the jazz-rock stuff, the hippy noodlings or any long virtuoso solos, be it jazz, prog-rock or an African drum cooperative. People would switch off. 

In any case, a lot of my favourite tracks are very long and an extract would not do them justice, so I have chosen tracks that assert themselves pretty quickly and I have mixed a few more obscure ones in with some pop classics.

This is my short list that will need to be pruned down:

  1. All Blue by Miles Davis.
  2. My Generation, by The Who
  3. On the Road Again by Canned Heat.
  4. Fresh Garbage by Spirit or the Zombies, Time of the Season (both from the Rock Machine Turns You On sampler).
  5. America by the Nice (Keith Emerson) 
  6. Joni Mitchell Woodstock (preferably from Shadows and Light ) or the Crosby, Stills and Nash version.
  7. Peter Gabriel singing The Power of the Heart (written by Lou Reed for his proposal to Laurie Anderson) 
  8. David Bowie This is not America (with Pat Metheny Group.)
  9. All I Want to Know by the Magnetic Fields.
  10. Nick Stevenson's band Lucky Shivers performing Human by Night. https://luckyshivers.bandcamp.com/releases 
  11. The Water is Wide by Karla Bonoff with James Taylor.
  12. Dreamland by Mary Chapin Carpenter.
  13. Weather Report performing Birdland.
  14. Raga Piloo by Indo Jazz Fusions.  


No comments: