Sunday 21 July 2019

How not to pack for a camping trip.

Every year I take a trip to Swaledale to link up with my brother Alex. We make for Usha Gap campsite, close to the paradise where we spent our early childhood and many holidays with our grandmother.

My old tent was a big blue canvas job that was made in France in the early 60s or late 50s. It was getting very tatty and I think Alex was a bit embarrassed to be seen near it. Despite my misgivings he persuaded to me to send it to the skip and "get modern". I hated my new little nylon tent from the outset and vowed to go back to canvas. Now I own this whopping 3 metre canvas bell-tent and I love it.
My new tent in front of Alex's camper van.
Packing the new tent was easy because it came in three weighty bags; one for the pegs, one for the poles and big one for the canvas. All you need is a trolley to move it to and from the car! As for the stuff to go inside, I started making lists about two weeks in advance and a mountain of gear started to grow in our conservatory, hindering access to the garden and tripping people up.
Usha Gap.

In the tent I would need a sleeping bag, which was in it's stuff-sack in the loft, so that was easy. I found a good lamp and an air-bed in the loft too but memories of constantly rolling off the single-size inflatable mattress flooded back and I went out to buy a double one. Of course they don't come with a pump but we have a few of those around the house. Pillows were a last minute addition.

Alex brings all the cooking gear, but just in case, I always bring my Kelly kettle, kindling, cigarette lighter, a huge water container, plate, mug, corkscrew, tea-towel and cutlery, mostly packed into a washing up bowl along with a sponge and wash-up liquid.  I can't go away without my steel cafetiere and sone decent coffee. Add in my wash-kit, some changes of clothes, walking boots and a towel and that should be that, shouldn't it?

Muker.
We are both trout fishermen so that means we need another pile of kit to add to the camping clutter. I take two fly rods in case of accidents, a little landing net, a few reels with different lines on, boxes of flies, floatant grease, bug repellent, polarised glasses, hat, nylon line and few more bits and bobs, plus jacket, chest waders and wellies. Job done?

Nope. I also take birdwatching gear that includes a telescope and tripod, binoculars and a field guide, all of which live in the car permanently. Then there is the photography kit which is pretty hefty too.

Alex, with midges.
On the day, of departure I dropped the back seats down to make a lot of space in my car and piled the lot in. Looking at the load in the back, I convinced myself that, if I had forgotten anything, it wouldn't matter unless it was my medications for this and that. "Oh Heck!"  I put them in the glove compartment at the last minute, waved bye-bye and set off.

Cooking up supper.
The first job on arrival, apart from a visit to the loos, was to put up the tent. This went well. Then we decoded to "have a look" at the river and see if it was fishable. "Having a look" obviously requires taking the fishing gear, just in case, so I put up my all purpose fly rod that comes in four pieces. Packing mistake number one: I only had three sections and the tip was in my garage at home. Oh well, perhaps I could scrape by with the little six foot rod?

I found another issue on the first night. Yes, the sleeping bag was in its stuff sack but the zip was broken beyond repair. The lesson? Check the condition of everything before packing it.



The campsite.
My worst error was not to pack the charger for my Nikon camera. My last picture of the week was of a trout that I caught on the little rod but I still had 24 hours to go. I asked the friendly Hairy Bikers next door if they had a Nikon charger but they joked that  they were Canon men and had no sympathy for people who buy Nikons.  To rub it in, one of them listed his collection of cameras that included a Hasselblad, a Sony and a Leica, not a single Nikon. I could weep, because a chiff chaff was sitting just over his shoulder and taunting me to take its photo.

All the same, we had a brilliant week and the camera didn't let me down until late on Thursday evening.

More to come.....








 ,





No comments: